Children Dentistry – Dental care for children. We bulk bill Child Dental Benefits Schedule (Medicare) for all eligible children. Our focus is on children’s oral health care and preventive dentistry. Our Children Dentistry is equipped with ‘The Wand’ a painless injection system and Laughing gas inhalation sedation. Call Us at (07) 4151 7305 to know more.
When your child reaches the right age, the teeth start to project out of the gums, which usually leads to pain and irritation. There are numerous ways to ease the pain – There are toys which help teething children. Chewing these toys helps in reducing the pain. You can also make use of pacifiers or rub your finger delicately on the sore gums. When the baby turns one, start using non-fluoridated toothpaste specifically made for babies. If you are not sure, ask your dentist to recommend a tooth paste.
Children and Adolescents
Preventive dentistry is very important for children as it helps to provide early treatment for tooth decay, uneven spacing and misalignment. Preventive treatment includes: diagnosing abnormal oral growth, cavity risk assessment, fluoride treatment, diet recommendation and advice on oral hygiene at home. We recommend dental sealants if cavities detected and orthodontic appliances to correct unevenly spaced teeth:
Tips on Preventive Dentistry for Children
- Brushing twice a day and flossing.
- Avoid snacks rich in sugar especially avoid sweets that are sticky.
- A well-balanced diet which is low in sugar and acid.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates especially foods that are high in starch.
- Calcium is a must when it comes to preventing tooth decay.
- Avoid carbonated soft drinks – the high sugar content, the phosphorous and carbonated liquid can be detrimental to your child’s oral health.
- Children over 12 can use an anti-microbial mouthwash to avoid gum disease.
- Replace toothbrush every three months
- Regular dental check-ups every six months, or as often as our doctors recommend.